Make these fabulous Texas style barbecue beans to go with our equally fabulous BBQ short ribs. Not molasses sweet, they are thick and garlicky with a savoury edge of bacon. Cooked on the fire with the beef ribs, or indoors on the hob, they make a great meal perfect.
We used butter beans for convenience, but you could use pinto or black-eyed beans too. You may not need any salt, further to the bacon.
Recipe for Texas barbecue beans
2 rashers bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cans butter beans, drained
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 sprig thyme
1 tsp cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tin chopped tomatoes
- In a saucepan over a hob or barbecue, add the bacon and fry to release the fats.
- Add the onion and cook until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, top up with water and cook over a slow heat, with the lid on, for several hours.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking until the sauce is thick. If using the BBQ for short ribs, place the pan under the meat for the final stages of cooking.
- Serve the Texas barbecue beans hot, with our BBQ short rib recipe.
Sign up for our emails below, so we can send you blogs on gardening tips, as well as updates on our sales, so you don’t miss out on those garden furniture bargains!