If you long for a refreshing dessert, or even breakfast, for when the sun shines then this lemon granita is it. Super simple to make, all you need is sugar, water, lemons, and a bit of space in the freezer. A metal tray or container works best.
A granita is less sweet than a sorbet and has an icier texture due to the sugar content. If you pay it proper attention, and scrape it together every hour, you will get a granular ice that the dessert is famous for.
Serve lemon granita as it is, perhaps with a glass of limoncello, or with a small spoon of whipped cream on the top. Do try the cream thing as it works particularly well.
Recipe for lemon granita
6 to 8 large lemons
- Heat the sugar and water over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Add the zest of 1 lemon and the juice of all the lemons. Stir.
- Pour into a metal container and place in the freezer.
- Every hour, remove from the freezer and stir with a fork. If fairly frozen, scrape with a fork.
- Keep scraping and freezing until you have what resembles grainy snow.
- Keep in the freezer until you want to serve.
- Scrape or stir the granita to serve and top with whipped cream if desired.
Sign up for our emails below, so we can send you blogs on gardening tips, as well as updates on our sales, so you don’t miss out on those garden furniture bargains!